Topic: Author Interview
Hugh Ballou The Person:
1. What three words do you think describe you as a human being?
Caring, feeling, fulfilling
2. How do you think others would describe you?
Caring, loving, energizing
3. Please tell us what you are most passionate about outside of writing.
Making a difference in peoples lives, especially in the lives of leaders and the who are in their care.
4. Do you have any pets? If so, introduce us to them.
Not at the present time, but I have had many dogs and cats who have been a major part of family life.
5. What is your most precious memory?
Standing on the deck of my new home saying my vows to my new wife in front of 100 guests who were surprised we were having a wedding.
6. What is your most embarrassing memory?
7. If you weren't a writer, what would you be doing with your life?
Training leaders - what I am already doing.
8. In two paragraphs or less write your obituary.
Hugh Ballou was a caring person who helped others find their key to success. He worked with leaders of organizations to assist them in defining and implementing their vision.
In part of his life, Hugh was a performer training orchestras and choirs around the world. Having studied with some of the most influential conductors in the US, Hugh has been able to refine the principle leadership principles that have given organizations a new vision for building more effective systems. Hugh would be so proud to know that his inspiration has influenced leaders around the globe to breathe new life into old patterns of leadership.
Hugh Ballou The Writer:
9. Can you describe the time you realized you were indeed a "real" writer?
Once I finished the first chapter of my first book, I realized that I could really do it! I could also be a writer. Not because I had a gift for writing, but because I had something worthwhile to say.
10. What is going on with your writing these days?
I am publishing the 3rd printing of my first book, Moving Spirits, Building Lives: Church Musician as Transformational Leader. I am writing a basic leadership book for transformational leaders that will apply to leaders in all types of organizations and a companion workbook to help readers utilize the lessons in a practical and effective manner. I also write articles to address specific challenges I encounter in my work with leaders. I edit the "Leadership Tools" edition of "Monday Morning Email" for Those Who Lead Worship Ministries.
11. What are your future goals for your writing?
To publish DVD sets to accompany the 3 workbooks for leaders and to make my lessons available for online learning opportunities so leaders can study without the cost of travel and hotel and registration fee.
12. Can you describe a typical writing day for you?
I plan the overall content of the book and then outline each chapter. I then schedule a time to write each piece of the book - not in order of the chapters, but in sync with what challenges I am facing as I help my clients. I schedule at least 2 writing days per week with specific goals.
13. Why do you write?
To clarify my thinking, to share my knowledge to communicate what I do to others.
14. What writer most inspires you? Why?
The composer and conductor Ralph Vaughan Williams is quoted as having said, "Music did not reveal its secrets to just one person." Many writers from many walks in life inspire me. I cannot narrow my appreciation to just one writer.
15. How do you define your writing?
16. In one sentence-what do you want people to say about your writing in fifty years?
Hugh gave me the one piece of the puzzle that made a huge difference in my effectiveness.
Hugh Ballou The Details:
17. Can you tell us where to find more information on you? Website? Blog?
18. Is there a place where readers can reach you?
19. Can you list all your book titles so people can look for them?
Moving Spirits, Building Lives: Church Musician As Transformational Leader
Moving Spirits, Building Lives: A Workbook for Transformational Leaders
Building High Performance Teams: Systems and Structures for Leading Teams and Empowering Transformation
20. For new readers-what can they expect when they read your book(s)?
Ideas and leadership tools that are immediately applicable
21. Take as much space as necessary to speak to our readers-what would you like them to know about you and your writing?
I help leaders, no matter where they are in an organizational chart, to influence others in a positive way that will inspire and encourage effective work.
For more information about Hugh Ballou - visit http://www.hughballou.com/. Book information is available at http://www.amazon.com/Transforming-Power-Transformational-Encouragement-Inspiration/dp/0881775312 For full tour details, visit http://virtualblogtour.blogspot.com/2008/06/transforming-power-virtual-tour-with.html
A SPECIAL BONUS TO EACH PERSON WHO PURCHASES TRANSFORMING POWER TODAY - Hugh Ballou has compiled a list of great FREE bonus gifts for anyone who purchases Transforming Power today. To see a sample of the items that are being given away, visit http://www.transforming-power.com/. Just buy a copy of Transforming Power, return to this page and click to submit your invoice number to receive the web page link to download all of these gifts for FREE